Thursday, June 30, 2011

Powerful Words

It's been a busy month. I was thinking about how long it has been since I posted. And now, here it is the last day of June. Don't think I can squeak out anything too profound on short notice. But I do like to post once a month, so I'm going to share something cool that happened to me today. Before I do, bear with me as I set the stage...

Family from my mom's side came to visit us last week. They have now gone home, as of yesterday. This afternoon, I was putting bedding away, rolling up deflated air mattresses, and keeping our washer humming, with swirls of clothing from my kid's empty drawers. It was a great time together. Good conversations, reconnecting and getting to know each better, now that all of us are grown-ups(LOL).

I was kind of sad to see it come to an end. Bittersweet, you know? The kids have commented that they miss playing with their big cousins--I'm sure they are more fun than their mother, who is with them all the time! My favorite time was meal times: my aunt is a rocking chef who has incredible recipes. Everyone is together, eating, hanging out. Much more inviting than an empty house can be, at times. Ok(segue): back to the story...


During the quiet of nap time, with westerly drapes drawn, I started to pick up piles of music that came in tow with my mom's piano. It was great to have family that were willing to help load up the gigantic instrument, as well as drive it the six hours up here, and then unload it into my living room. I wasn't much help, but I watched as the guys lifted and unwrapped it, like a special gift.

I have fond memories of my mom's piano, hearing a song and then figuring out the chords, playing it awhile later. So much fun. I was honored to have it given to me when she died. Now seemed like the right time to get it up here to it's new home. Although I didn't hear my mom play much, when she was alive, she was very talented--not only in classical playing but in singing as well.

In the midst of her illness, I recall her telling me, over the phone, that she had written some lyrics that might possibly be set to music at some point in time. I don't remember reading the words or even knowing the name of the song. And then today, as I was picking up music books, a folded sheet of white paper slipped out onto the floor. It was simply white printer paper, with words on it. I opened it up and at first glance, thought it was a song I might have copied off to learn the chords.

Looking again, I realized the names: there was my mom's, and the composer. This was it, the song she had written, back in 2006. Wow. I'd like to share it the lyrics with you. Someday, maybe I'll be able to attach the actual song onto my FB page--but I still have slow Internet, so not today.




Savior, Redeemer and King
Christa Bender and Sean Keith


My precious Savior, Redeemer and King

I bow before You and gratefully sing

You're my Protector, Sustainer of life

Each breath You give me affirms Your great might


You are my refuge, of whom shall I fear

Though darkness surrounds, me, I know You are near

The cross before me in powerful love

It's comfort flows through me, content from above


I will stand strong regardless of night

You will guide me by Your perfect light

I will hold fast no matter what comes

Savior, Redeemer and King


My Precious Savior, Redeemer and King

I come before You with praises I sing

Oh how I love You, I praise and adore

Your name is all glorious forevermore!

Copyright 2006 Sean Keith/DeepEcho Music/SESAC