Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Beautiful Occurence

You've maybe heard the rhetorical cliche': has it ever occurred to you that nothing occurs to God? Last night, the kids and I were outside, enjoying the end to a rather perfect day. I was working in my landscape when it hit me: this has been a good day. Took me to the end of it to realize how peaceful and content I had felt...a feeling I haven't experience in weeks, I must say.


Our summer has been quite busy. My husband has had an interesting season at his job and in farming--among other projects--making the time that we have with him seem so short. We have missed him. Adrian said,"I want Daddy home. I miss him." So we dialed him on the phone and were both surprised at how chatty he was(normally, my son refuses any phone conversations!). Samantha also had her turn, and in her usual display of charm--talked to her Daddy, smiling all the while, until he was wrapped even tighter around her little finger.


It was one of those moments you don't want to forget. Even though Troy was gone last night, we felt like we were blessed beyond understanding. I enjoyed riding bikes with the kids on the dirt road, bordered by trees and wide open spaces. The air was fresh, the wind blowing the grasses in breeze. We didn't want to go inside. But even the longer days unfold into bedtime routines, albeit much later. Kids were tucked in and then the house needed some serious attention. Troy walked through the door, earlier than expected, so we did have some time before the day came to a close. These are the moments that we live for...the moments that we often miss because we're too busy.


Not many days before, my attitude looked somewhat different. Thoughts of running away from noisy children, piles of laundry, and a sink that never seems to stay empty was quite attractive. Years ago, when working a full-time job, my nightmares consisted of angry customers and plants--chasing me down...now I wake up with little people lying on the floor, a near miss under my foot...or, staring me in the face, asking me for juice. Who needs an alarm clock?


Thank you God, for the people in my life who do grant me a break from time to time. They are like angels to me! Thank you God, for reminding me that true contentment comes from knowing You. Thank you God, for the gift of life and learning to live it out more fully. To enjoy what You have given us and to not strive for more than is enough for me. Thank you that nothing occurs to You and that you make all things beautiful(my heart, continually), in its time.


"He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end. I know that nothing is better for them than to rejoice, and to do good in their lives, and also that every man should eat and drink and enjoy the good of all his labor--it is the gift of God." Ecclesiastes 3:11-13


(Thank you, Pastor Derrick Skoglund, for this reminder and for sharing this text on July 10th, 2011.)