Friday, April 23, 2010

Shades of Green

At first glance, you would say that I look more like my dad than my mom. He is dark, and so am I. My mom was a tall blond, with beautiful green eyes. As a parent, I also see both me and my husband in our kids. They grin a certain way or make a funny face, on any given day, and you could see one or the both of us, in them. Looking more closely, there is also much of my mom in me. One interesting trait is that although my eyes are brown, there are shades of green beneath all that chocolaty-brown.
You're probably wondering, "How does she know that her eyes are green, underneath?" You can't tell by looking at me, however close you might get(I do like my space). So I'll tell you how I know this.


A few years back, I went to a Science Museum with some work friends. We had a great time, exploring the place. It was especially entertaining when the alarm in my friend's car went off and we were frantically trying to find the vehicle, climbing up and down concrete steps in this ginormous parking ramp--only to find out later, that were in the wrong ramp! Our legs turned to jello as we were laughing so hard, we couldn't climb another step! That is a fun memory for me...ok, tangent--sorry!

So one of the floors had this microscope. Two people sit down, one on either side. One looks into the scope and can see into the iris of the other person's eye. It is amazing to see all the colors that comprise one person's iris--and I'm sure no two people are alike, in that respect. Well, it was my turn and my friend said, "Wow, you have like all this green showing up!" It was cool that he could see that because I had no idea. I'm sure that it's true because my mom's eyes were green. So it would make sense that although I inherited my dad's dark brown eyes, there were traits of my mom eyes, underneath.

For me, this is significant. Well, I could make just about anything appear significant--deep thinker that I am--but really, this is cool because it's one more way for me to feel connected to a person that seemed so far away from me, as I was growing up. My mom lived in another state for a good part of my life. And, when I did live closer to her, she was going through a difficult time and wasn't available, when I needed her to be.

Through the years, we would try to connect and sometimes it would work, and most of the time, it did not. God, in His sovereignty, made good come out of a painful situation. I can say, today, that before my mom died, we were much closer than we had ever been before. And although we are different in many ways, I keep on finding 'shades of green' underneath. She was a great writer, a deep thinker, and loved the color green...as do I.

When I think of green, I think of Life. There are seasons of dormancy and seasons of growing. Like a brown twig coming out of winter and into spring, there will soon be life bursting forth. So remember, when you are going through some stuff, that there is 'green underneath'. Even if you can't see it yet...it is there, because He made us and knows what we need... and when.